Cream of pumpkin soup is a very popular dish all over Styria and beyond. In our kitchens we traditionally serve this delightful starter in the late summer, when the cooler temperatures of the early autumn days make you crave for comforting, creamy soups which are quick and easy to prepare. And by adding a touch of dark green Styrian pumpkin seed oil, you can turn the slightly sweet tasting cream of pumpkin soup into a unique and authentique culinary experience. Why don’t you try our recipe? It’s delicious!
Styrian Cream of Pumpkin Soup Recipe
- 1/2 kg pumpkin (Hokkaido)
- 1 onion
- 1-2 garlic cloves
- neutral oil or butter
- 600 ml vegetable or chicken broth
- ground nutmeg
- Ginger optionally
- 150 ml whipping cream optionally
- Pumpkin Seed Oil
- Pumpkin Seeds
- For this recipe you need to cut the pumpkin in half and extract all the seeds and fibres. Then cut the cleaned pumpkin into cubes. It's not really necessary to peel the Hokkaido pumpkin, because you can eat the skin as well.
- Finely dice the onion and the garlic cloves and lightly sautée them until golden. Then add the pumpkin cubes, sautée for another minute or so and finally add the broth. Season with salt, pepper, nutmeg and perhaps some ginger and let it gently simmer over medium heat until the pumkin is tender.
- Once the ingredients are thouroughly cooked, puree the soup with a blender. At this point you can add some whipping cream if you wish, although it's not absolutely necessary. The texture of the cream of pumpkin soup will be smooth and creamy nevertheless. If you find your soup to be too 'gooey', you can add a dash of water or broth.
- And now the highlight! Once you have served your cream of pumpkin soup in a soup plate or bowl or even in a hollowed out pumpkin, drizzle some lovely, dark-green pumpkin seed oil on top and finish off with a sprinkle of pumpkin seeds.
Your Steirische Spezialitäten Team